I’m just going to pretend it’s not already Wednesday (Wednesday? What? How on earth did that happen already?), and do my weekly wrap up now. Only it’s supposed to cover two weeks. I’m not doing this right, am I? Oh well. Carrying on…
- Ezra said dada and then mama, back to back. True Story. We were listening to him babble away in bed between us on Saturday morning, when he oh-so-clearly said dada, and we got all excited and silly about it, and I said No, say mama! And then? He said mama. Awesome! He then went on to make a bunch of other sounds that are probably only understandably to certain African tribes so I’m pretty sure this moment wasn’t as momentous to him as it was to us. But whatever, my baby said Mama!
- Over Mothers Day weekend, we also took Ezra into the pool at my mom’s house for the first time. He was very quiet and a little cautious when I first carried him in there, but after a few minutes he realized he could SPLASH! and SPLASH! he did, full of giggles and shrieks. My stepdad is a swim instructor, and he had Ezra doing mini leg-kicking laps around the pool and even put him under water a couple times. He handled it like a champ, of course—just one short yelp of displeasure as he came out of the water to let us know he wasn’t too crazy about water in his eyes, and then he was back to playing and splashing. It was ADORABLE.
- I went to the doctor for the lingering pain near my c-section incision. Turns out I’m totally fine! Uh, just ignore the stabby feeling in your abdomen, it’s nothing! YAY DOCTORS. Someone on twitter mentioned that her residual pain was likely due to belly flab, and, yeah, I can see that being the case since I’m approximately 90% belly flab. (I was hoping that getting pregnant would cause fat to magically migrate to my ass, but NOPE. I still have no butt.) So I’ve been trying to get a littttle more serious about eating better and working out. I’m bad at stuff like this and I desperately wish I could go on ignoring it and be all rah rah me! but I need to lose weight and it is what it is, so I guess it’s about time I put on my big girl panties and deal with it.
- It was my first Mother’s day and real, actual mother. We spent the weekend at my mom’s house. She watched the baby overnight so we could go see a late showing on Iron Man 2 (Robert Downey Jr, will you marry me?) on Saturday night and then I got a solid block of much-needed sleep. Woke up Sunday morning to a kiss and and a hug and a sweet “happy mother’s day, new mommy” from Cris, and then cuddled with the baby for a while, and then we all had a nice bbq. All in all, it was a lovely day.
- I realized that I don’t think about how completely WEIRD it is to be a mother as much anymore, so I guess I’m finally settling into my new role. I am so blessed to be a mom to the most amazing kid in the history of kids. I know all moms think their kids are the best, but in this case, I’m totally 100% objectively right.
Goals this week? None. I’m taking a break and catching up on Glee and Parenthood. Priorities, people. I haz them.